Analytical Chemistry Support for the US EPA National Aquatic Resource Survey
CSS chemically analyzes hundreds of water samples collected annually from the US EPA’s National Aquatic Resource Survey (NARS), a critical contribution to the EPA assessments of the condition of the nation’s water bodies.
Our support of the EPA’s National Aquatic Resource Surveys (NARS) provides a significant example of our experience with the chemical analysis of water samples. NARS is a large collaborative program between EPA, states and tribes to conduct a statistically-based survey of the status of the nation’s waters. The nation’s lakes, rivers and streams, wetlands and coastal waters are sampled iteratively over a five-year period. Over forty-five states participate in the program. The EPA generates an assessment report of the environmental condition of the water bodies sampled in a given year. The chemistry data we provide is a major component of that determination. Key highlights of our support for NARS are included below.
- Provided analytical chemistry support for NARS since its inception in 2007 and analyzed 850-1050 water samples a year for the program.
- Analyzed 12 to 23 chemical constituents annually depending on the water bodies being sampled in a particular year (e.g., coastal waters, lakes, rivers), including nitrate, nitrite and total phosphorus.
- Completed analyses following a strict schedule of sample hold times.
- Prepared comprehensive database of results and QC/QA data for the EPA.
- Prepared and maintained an EPA-approved laboratory quality assurance plan and 20 EPA-approved SOPs.
- Documented analytical performance for NARS work in annual updates of Data Quality Summary Report (DQSR)
- Managed and cross-trained staff to meet analytical, sample load, and technical expertise requirements
- Maintained staff competency based on results of multiple proficiency testing studies; peer review of calibration, sample, and QC data; and critique of control charts.
Analysis for Coastal Operational Resiliency
CSS assisted with planning and executing a demonstration of three decontamination technologies on a USCG vessel contaminated with a benign surrogate for anthrax.
Quick Response Guides for Emergency Response
CSS prepares tactical, field, and quick response guides used by EPA OSCs and other first responders to address a wide range of contaminants.
Network Engineering Design and Support
CSS engineers and deploys large-scale networks to support multi-campus and multi-facility environments.
Satellite Data Applications
Helping create a more environmentally sustainable, weather-ready, and secure nation through application of earth observation data
Earth & Space Science Support & Operations
We deliver scientific support to advance our clients’ research goals.
Emergency Preparedness & Response
We help our clients prepare for and protect the health and environment of communities after disasters and hazmat releases.
Safety, Health, & Environmental
We provide our clients with tools to protect their workforce, the public, and the environment.
Our IT solutions meet clients’ evolving needs.
Environmental Resource Assessment & Management
We apply science to address challenges affecting the nation’s natural resources.
Facilities Operations & Maintenance
We understand your facility support needs and deliver customized solutions.
Get in touch
Contact us to learn more about our projects, capabilities, solutions, and service offerings.