Response at Contaminated Sites and Natural Disasters Nationwide
On-Site Support for EPA’s Office of Land and Emergency Management (OLEM) – CSS provides expert technical guidance and field support at hazardous and contaminated sites, including sites under the Superfund program.
Supporting EPA’s Response at Contaminated Sites and Natural Disasters Nationwide
CSS’s Scientists work alongside EPA’s On-Scene Coordinators (OSC) to address health and environmental issues at hazardous sites
Contaminated sites pose both an immediate and long-term risk to the environment and residents of affected communities. For more than 20 years, CSS has delivered skilled scientists, engineers and technicians to work side-by-side with EPA’s On-Scene Coordinators (OSCs) at hazardous sites, including those under the Superfund program. Our field specialists investigate impacted air, water, and soil, and structures; protect the health and safety of people at or near the site; and support removal actions to confirm they meet approved cleanup levels. We prepare essential fieldwork plans, collect and ship samples, interpret analytical results, prepare reports, and encourage community engagement. We also provide technical oversight at EPA-led and Potentially Responsible Party-led removal actions to confirm cleanup efforts meet remediation goals.
Our services at contaminated sites include:
- Preparing and Implementing EPA-compliant Work Plans, Health and Safety Plans, Sampling Plans, and Quality Assurance Project Plans for Field Work
- Performing Site Characterization
- Collecting Multi-Media Field Samples
- Packing and Shipping Samples for Analysis
- Conducting Analytical Data Review and Validation
- Coordinating Community Outreach
- Performing Long-term Ecological Monitoring
- Overseeing Site Removals and Remediation
Our experience supporting the Superfund Program includes the preparation of:
- Preliminary Assessments/Site Inspections (PA/Sis), Expanded Site Inspections (ESIs), Removal Assessments, and Targeted Brownfields Assessments
- Environmental Site Assessments
- Oil Pollution Act Federal Response Plans
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) plans
- Hazard Ranking System Scoring Packages
Our staff also support EPA during emerging environmental crises resulting from large oil spills, industrial and transportation accidents, hurricanes, and wildfires. Services include:
- First Responder/On-Scene Coordination
- Response Plan Development
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Hazardous and Household Waste Disposal Oversight
- Data Management
Our staff draw on our broad field experience to deliver effective training materials and support emergency preparedness exercises for EPA. We help design and present:
- Tabletop Exercises
- Field Exercises (including multi-agency Incident of National Significance exercises)
- Health and Safety Training
- Radiation/Nuclear Response Training
- Hazardous Materials Technical Training (including full scale exercise)
- Chemical Agent Workshops
On-Site Support for EPA’s Office of Land and Emergency Management (OLEM) – CSS provides expert technical guidance and field support at hazardous and contaminated sites, including sites under the Superfund program.Steve Mason, EPA Region 6
April 3, 2019 (via email to Steve Cowan)
Superfund Program Removal Action Support
CSS’ On-Site Analytical Support Accelerates Site Cleanup and Restoration.
Real-time HABs Detection and Modeling
We develop and deploy the sensors and monitor in real-time, HABs activities to support immediate response.
Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) ES&H Support
CSS provided on-site environmental, safety, and health support 24 hours per day/five days per week to support approximately 1,900 employees occupying 1.4 million square feet of floor space at BEP’s Washington, DC, facility (DCF).
Environmental Resource Assessment & Management
We apply science to address challenges affecting the nation’s natural resources.
Earth & Space Science Support & Operations
We deliver scientific support to advance our clients’ research goals.
Facilities Operations & Maintenance
We understand your facility support needs and deliver customized solutions.
Emergency Preparedness & Response
We help our clients prepare for and protect the health and environment of communities after disasters and hazmat releases.
Our IT solutions meet clients’ evolving needs.
Human Health Risk Assessment
We help advance the understanding of chemical effects on people and the environment.
Satellite Data Applications
Helping create a more environmentally sustainable, weather-ready, and secure nation through application of earth observation data
Get in touch
Contact us to learn more about our projects, capabilities, solutions, and service offerings.